Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Old Post from 2012: a telescopic deficit...

Have you ever looked through a telescope?  It is amazing to view the stars up close and personal.  Years ago, I remember visiting the Franklin Institute and looking through an extremely high powered microscope, which allowed us to actually view Mars.  That was such an awesome experience!  I was amazed by the amount of detail that the was revealed through such an amazing invention.  I got lost in the sky, as I focused in on the awesome "Red Planet".  Mars, the fourth planet from the sun, has desert-like regions and small pockets of water.  I can't explain just how cool it was to see something so far away from me in such detail.  I was drawn into this focal point, virtually forgetting about everything; including the entire sky, and even the space around me.  I tuned out others in line waiting to see, and completely embraced the wonder before me.
 
::siigh:: 
wow
I definitely cannot explain to you just how fulfilling it was to see Mars up close.  The technological abilities of a telescope are really rewarding.  Despite its savvy nature, lately, I've been thinking about ways we take a telescopic experience to the extreme.  Can you imagine living your life through a telescope?
I know that I can attest to having one eye closed, focusing in on only one aspect of my journey.  I was handicapped by my limited perspective of life, and was ultimately a victim of this limited scope.  This view began to specifically constrict my relationship with God.  My focus and expectation of Him came through the sole lens of one area of my life.  See, when we live our lives through the lens of a telescope, we forget that there is an entire sky.  Our interactions and understanding of God come through one medium, "The Red Planet", and we lack comprehension of the vast nature of our Creator.  When I navigated through life with this telescopic deficit, I only viewed my relationship with God through the lens of need.  I was so dependent on the way He operated in my life as Jehovah Jireh, that I failed to seek Him in other areas of my life.  In addition,  my praise was constricted, and you can forget about worship.  I honed my vision in on the this area so greatly, that it even affected my understanding and appreciation for the entire sky.  I sought to be filled, and I brought a teaspoon to the ocean.  see much value in broadening our view of God beyond just our needs and the ways they are met.  
God is so much more than a bridge over troubled water and a way maker.  We praise Him for His provision, but we only do ourselves a selfish disservice when we forget about the element of worship.  In Christianity, worship is the central act of Christian identity, the purpose of which is to ascribe honor or worth to God.  Praise is clearly taught in church.  When we receive something or God does something for us, we are trained to respond through praise.  That is an example God showing Himself through a verb/ action.  He is doing something to/ for you.  But what about God as a noun?  Have we really taken time to think about Him for who He is, rather than what He does?  Praise considers Mars, worship considers the sky.
 Verse 1:
From the highest of heights to the depths of the sea
Creations revealing Your majesty
From the colors of fall to the fragrance of spring
Every creature unique in the song that it sings
All exclaiming

Chorus:
Indescribable, uncontainable, You place the stars in the sky and You know
Them by name, You are amazing God
All powerful, untamable, awestruck we fall to our knees as we humbly
Proclaim, You are amazing God

Verse 2:
Who sees lightning bolts and tells them where they should go or
Sees heavenly store houses laden in snow
Who imagined the sun and gave source to it's light
Yet conceals it to bring us the coolness of night
None can fathom

(Repeat Chorus)

Chorus 2:
Incomparable, unchangeable, You've seen the depths of my heart and You love
Me the same, You are amazing God
You are amazing God

(Repeat Chorus)
Vamp:
You are amazing God

No comments:

Post a Comment